Skip to content

Emergency Contacts

What is an emergency?
An emergency is a situation that poses an immediate threat to health and well-being, safety or security. Emergencies are rare, but you should always be prepared and carry the information for the following emergency contacts at all times.

Examples of emergencies include:

  • Life-threatening situation
  • Serious illness or injury
  • Student is a victim of violent assault
  • Arrest of a student
  • Threat of harm to self or others​

Emergency assistance contact information
If you are seriously injured or sick:

  1. Go to the closest medical facility.
  2. Contact GeoBlue insurance at +1 610-254-8771 (collect calls accepted).
  3. Contact your on-site contact person.

For any emergency: Call the Study Abroad and Global Engagement's 24/7 emergency assistance line through the UMKC Police Department at +1 816-235-1515. The department will contact an appropriate Study Abroad Risk Management team member to assist you.

For minor emergency or inconvenience: email UMKC's Study Abroad & Global Engagement Office at

In-country Country Contacts:

  1. Contact your Faculty-Leader or Program Administrator immediately
  2. To view a listing of U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world, please visit
  3. To view international "911" and emergency numbers, please visit

U.S. embassy and consulates
Should you encounter an emergency in your host country, including civil unrest or a natural disaster, or if you are arrested, a victim of a crime or your passport is lost or stolen, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can offer assistance. U.S. consular officials can help you with the local policy and medical systems if you are a victim of a crime, help you contact your family, provide information about conditions in the host country during civil unrest or natural disasters, or help you replace a lost or stolen passport. If you are arrested abroad, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate immediately. One of the highest priorities of U.S. embassies and consulates abroad is to provide assistance to U.S. citizens incarcerated abroad to ensure fair and humane treatment.

Study Abroad Insurance Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
If you are a U.S. citizen, you should register your travel with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This travel registration makes it possible for you to be contacted in case of an emergency in the U.S. or in your host country. Additionally, if you will be traveling independently before, during or after your program, you should register that travel with STEP [external link]  and as a side trip in your myStudyAbroad account. Once you have registered your travel, your family can send an emergency message to you through the Office of Overseas Citizens Services by calling 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.) or +1 202-501-4444 (from abroad).

Study Abroad Insurance

All University of Missouri - Kansas City students participating a study abroad program are required to have International Health Insurance that offers Worldwide Travel Assistance. The majority of participants who go UMKC international programs will be required to register for international health insurance through GeoBlue.

Worldwide Health Insurance (for participants on the GeoBlue study abroad medical insuance coverage)
In an emergency, seek appropriate medical care directly, and then contact GeoBlue as soon as possible. For medical evacuation and other 24/7 emergency assistance, contact GeoBlue in one of the following ways:
-Collect from outside the U.S. +1-610-263-8771;
-Toll free within the U.S. 1-844-268-2686;

For other questions about your plan, call GeoBlue collect from outside the U.S. +1 610-263-2847; toll free within the U.S. 1-844-268-2686, or email

Members may log in to the Member Hub to access Global Health and Security Resources to help you identify qualified medical providers around the world, request appointments, translate medical terms and brand names for drugs, provide security alerts, and to review details of your insurance plan.